Friday 27 September 2013

"Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness" Joseph Pilates

For months I have had my Brighton Marathon training plan ready but have been waiting for cooler temperatures and the start of September before I really took a good hard look at it.

The other week I did just that and was surprised to see it wasn’t as full of the long, mile pounding runs I thought it would be. In fact, up until Christmas there is much more of a focus on building strength than there is on racking up the miles!

A new thing for me, which brought more fear than miles and miles of running, was the introduction of weekly Stretching/Yoga/Pilates sessions. I was afraid of this for two reasons:

1. Yoga Bunnies – my visions of yoga classes are lots of beautifully toned and flexible ladies cracking out wonderful shapes and being able to hold them FOREVER!

2. Price – a quick internet search resulted in lots of fun and exciting looking classes but with a price that made my eyes water. The thought of spending £10+ a week is an impossibility on my wage.



Fortunately, the charity I work for was just beginning a 10 week Pilates course… for FREE and for beginners. Without a moment’s hesitation I was signed up and looking forward to my first class.

For someone who has little to no core strength I pleasantly surprised myself with my ability to keep up and even cracked out a 1min plank – it has been awhile since I have even attempted a plank after taking on the Shock Absorber Ab Challenge earlier this summer!

I found the focus on breathing really beneficial and the hamstring stretches were like a gift from the heavens for my poor tight legs. Earlier this summer I saw how much strengthening my core helped my running and I am looking forward to seeing the benefits of the Pilates. I am already enjoying a more ache free existence.


What other training do you do to complement your running? Have you tried Pilates?

3 comments:

  1. That's so good that you get to do a Pilates course for free! I tried it once but didn't get on with it but would like to try it again. I really want to try Yoga but like you I've found it too expensive; the places near me are all so expensive and you have to have membership rather than paying class by class. I do need to invest in some other activities to complement my running though, you have got me thinking now! :) xo

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never got on with it before but it shows the importance of finding a class which suits you. There must be other organisations offering it for free... have you thought about googling for your local time bank? I got a free Brighton marathon training plan and consultation with a running coach through a time bank. Xxx

      Delete
  2. Great post hun. I agree with yoga and pilates helping your running form. I've heard that strengthening your core really helps reduce the likelihood of stitches during running :D

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete